When I was little, my dad used to tell me lots of things. But the message I remember most was "You are beautiful, but remember what's most important...your heart". I always used to chalk it up as a dad-thing. Of course, my dad will tell me I'm beautiful...I'm his daughter. And of course he'll tell me that a beautiful heart is more important than outer beauty...he's a dad! But it's always stuck with me.
Tonight at church, we began a new series called Overcome...and the message tonight was about overcoming feelings of inadequacy. It's not too often I feel inadequate...I'm not trying to brag...just don't think about it much. But over the past few months, as I've gone through training for Stephen Ministry at our church, I've felt an overwhelming sense of inadequacy. Who am I to minister to someone who is going through a crisis in their life?
Feelings of inadequacy come from lots of places, but the place mine comes from is comparing myself to others. "That person is a lot more qualified to help her." "I'm not nearly as educated as he is." "God, there are a lot of other people who are closer to you than I am...maybe one of them would be better."
And then, our pastor read a verse that hit home:
"The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearances, but the Lord looks at the heart." ~1 Samuel 16:7
And all the memories of my dad's message came rushing back. It doesn't matter if there is someone more qualified. God can use me. It doesn't matter the level of education I have. God can use me. It doesn't matter if there are holier people out there. God can use me. I am just called to have my heart in the right place and allow God to work through me.
Just as an earthly father is glad to see his daughter filled with character and integrity, so our Heavenly Father looks with favor on his daughter that has a heart for Him. And I am so glad that our Father knows best.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sooo True! What a great message from both Dad and Pastor. I think that you are totally qualified, and your heart is the 1st thing that people should be seeing about you!!!
ReplyDelete