I think I've lost my mind! Some friends came over today for a playdate (I'd like to think that it was more for us moms than for the kids). After we confirmed the time, I looked over at the LARGE bowl of apples I received from my mother-in-law. Hmm...I should use these up. Looking through my cupboards, I found I had enough ingredients on-hand to make a pan of apple crisp and an apple cake.
MISTAKE #1. Just because it has apples in it, doesn't mean it's actually GOOD for you!
So, I set to work. Peeling over 30 apples. And these weren't the gi-normous apples you get in the grocery store...these were little apples. If I were to be generous, it MAYBE yielded 7 cups of apples when all said and done.
MISTAKE #2. Unless you have help, NEVER peel and core 30 apples on your own. Debilitating hand cramps are never good for anyone!
After the oven was preheated, and the countertop was covered in flour, cinnamon & WAY too much sugar, I had the desserts in the oven. It wasn't long before the house filled with wonderful smell of apples.
Our friends came over, the boys played, us moms talked. And then, the moment of truth...time for dessert. The boys ended up opting for icecream cones. Hmmm...we had to make sure that everything tasted ok. So, we sampled a helping of the apple crisp and the apple cake. No harm in that!
MISTAKE #3. There is harm in that! Unless you have will-power made of steal...don't sample both desserts! It never ends well...
Which brings me to why I've lost my mind:
Instead of covering up the desserts and putting them out of eye sight...I left them on the counter...uncovered! A pinch of crumbs from the apple crisp, a sliver of apple cake...and repeat...and repeat...and repeat.
After putting the kids to bed, I went into the kitchen to clean up from the day. And much to my dismay, the apple crisp was GONE! Oh dear! And there was only 1/4 of the apple cake left! Who could have done this?! Certainly not me! Craig must've helped, but not THAT much...and so, I resolve that I have lost my mind...and unfortunately, it'll take weeks at the gym to undo the damage I did today. And to think, it all started with a bowl full of apples!
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OK - Well NOW I am feeling totally guilty that you did not let me help you peel those apples...No wonder you had band aids every where! LOL.
ReplyDeleteIt was soo yummy, I am still thinking about the apple crisp and I am just annoyed that Mason didn't eat his!!
And..YES, the play date was way more for us!!!