Tonight, I made a quick run to Target to pick up some groceries. While looking at some items down the pharmacy isles, I turned around and noticed that Jacob was gone...no where in sight! My heart started pounding a mile a minute as I shouted out his name. I walked down the isle and turned to find him standing near the bulk candy area (where all the rediculously expensive candy is). Why they even offer that at Super Target and put it right at the perfect level for little hands to get is beyond me!! His mouth was FILLED with candy he had "stolen" out of the candy containers. So full, in fact, that he couldn't actually shut his mouth. Now, I'm not one to lie and say I've never "sampled" from the candy display...but a mouthful? Come on now. I had to figure out a way to stop this from happening again (did I mention he'd done this before?).
I explained that we were going to have to tell a store manager what he had done. Immediately, his eyes filled with tears and he started sobbing uncontrollably. "Please, Mommy! I won't steal candy again. Please don't make me tell them. I just want to go home!"
I felt awful following through with it, but my threat had already been made. So, I explained to the clerk what had happened and ask for her help in assisting me with teaching Jacob a lesson. "We have a security guard who looks like a police officer. Would you like me to call him over?" PERFECT!!
The security guard, Jeff, was very nice & leaned down to Jacob's level.
"Tell the policeman what you did, Jacob", I prodded.
"I can't! Please don't make me tell him! I just wanted a little candy!" Jacob clung to my leg, unable to look the man in the face.
"Did you take some candy, son?" He asked.
"Uh huh".
"Taking candy is naughty and you need to listen to your mom when she tells you that you can't have any. Do you promise not to do it again?"
"Uh huh. I'm sorry. I won't do it again" Jacob promised.
With a nice pat on the head, Jeff, the security guard, said goodbye. Jacob was silent for a few moments, then looked up at me with bloodshot eyes and said, "Whew! That was scary! I'll never steal candy again!"
Lesson learned....hopefully.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hilarious! Way to follow through on the threat! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Jacob!!
ReplyDelete