This past year, someone has come into Jacob's life. She has gotten to know him pretty well. I, on the other hand, don't know much about her...other than my visual impressions and what I hear from Jacob.
There's always a smile on her face and she seems very nice. But she's really masculine. Her balding hair is cropped short. And she is rather heavy set. The times I've seen her, she's usually wearing men's clothing and no make-up. These things don't bother me, but ashamedly, I admit that I never really made much of an effort to get to know her. I figured we wouldn't have much in common.
Tonight, Jacob and I were talking before bed and this particular individual came up in our conversation. "If you could tell her anything, what would you tell her?" I asked.
"Mommy, I would tell her that she is beautiful!" he replied.
"Funny...that wouldn't be my first word to describe her," I thought. But then it hit me...this whole time I was focused on her appearance while Jacob was focused on her heart.
Why is it that when we grow older, our attention is drawn to the things that the world holds important...appearance, wealth, youth? When all the while, God cares about who we are on the INSIDE? What is it about our human nature that causes us to judge a book by it's cover?
Once again, I was humbled and gently reminded by my 4-year-old that the true judge of beauty lies much deeper than the clothes we wear and the car we drive. And hopefully I'll give a second glance to those books whose covers don't grab my attention the first time.
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment