Have you ever felt that God is no where to be found? In a moment of your life that feels trecherous, scary, even debilitating, when you need God near you the most, He seems to be absent? I've felt like that. Maybe more times than I'd like to admit. And while silence from God is Biblical...I believe we tend to miss out on the subtle moments that our Heavenly Father speaks to us.
My dad refers to these moments as "God Winks". Little ways that God is "winking" at us to let us know that He is near. It comes in an unexpected note of encouragement from a friend. A hug from your child. A renewed look at something you've seen a million times and passed by. A smile from a stanger you pass in the street.
And with each "wink", a peace flows that surpasses the situation. The glimpse into the unknown future that feels overwhelming, goes away. The sickening feeling of looking into a moment from your past, that fills you with regret, subsides. And we settle into the "wink" from the Lord that is by our side and carrying us through.
I encourage you to take notice of the "God winks" in your life. Don't chalk a moment up to coincidence...see it in a new light...a reassurance from God that He has taken notice of you and is letting you know that He is here with you in this moment.
"I was regretting the past
and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking:
My name is I AM.
He paused.
I waited. He continued...
When you live in the past
with it's mistakes and regrets,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WAS.
When you live in the future,
with it's problems and fears,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.
When you live in this moment
it is not hard. I am here.
My name is I AM."
-Helen Mallicoat
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought that was really cool when you mentioned it at small group but then when you put it down in words...it is pretty amazing. I am trying to find the GOD winks in my day...I know that he is there! ;)
ReplyDelete