WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!
We have been richly blessed and it is with joy that we share our greatest joys with you.
So sit back, relax, and enjoy!
The Person Family

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

That "Magical" Age

It's supposedly the "magical" age. The point when a toddler's body is miraculously ready for answering nature's call in the toilet and NOT in their pants. It feels like we just went through this with Jacob...and really, we did! Just over a year ago. "But girls are different!" I've heard. And so, with baby #3 on his way, I decided to buckle down and teach Sophia how to be a real "BIG GIRL".

We started with a quick trip to Target. Filled our cart with all the pretty, girly underwear we could find (is it possible for the underwear makers out there to make something with anything OTHER than Dora or Disney Princesses on it!?!). Then we made a special trip down the candy isle. Sophia went crazy throwing bags of M&Ms, Gummy Bears & KitKats into the cart. "Yay! Candy for the potty!" she cried as we walked down the isle to the checkout. This is going to be a success! I can already feel it!

We got home, opened up the underwear (the smallest sizes we could find), and proceeded to put her first pair on her. Not that it should've been any big surprise, but they were HUGE on her! The smallest underwear they make was literally falling off of her, but she seemed happy with them, so I let it go.

30 minutes after a cup full of juice, we made our way into the bathroom. Sophia gracefully sat on the training toilet and enjoyed conversation & book reading for over 10 minutes. NOTHING. Ok, we'll go play for another 15 minutes and then try again. She ran into the playroom, and before I could turn the corner, "Uh Oh, Mommy". Accident. Well, I can't expect her to get potty-trained with NO accidents, can I?!

After cleaning her up and sending her into the kitchen, I proceeded to disinfect the infected area. As I entered the kitchen after disinfecting the playroom, I hear, "Uh Oh, Mommy". NOT AGAIN! Yes, again. This time on the kitchen chair & rug (don't worry, I disinfected that too). All logic would assume a 2 year old couldn't possibly have anything left in her, but sure enough 3 minutes later (no exaggeration!), she peed on the floor...then again, 5 minutes later on another kitchen chair (yes, yes, I disinfected that too).

And so, after 1 hour, 4 accidents, 1 roll of paper towels, and half a bottle of disinfectant, I have decided that there really isn't a "magical" age for potty training.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed...she might need a bit more time! That Elmo potty time is a great start I think....

    ReplyDelete